About Utah Sex Crimes
If you have been accused of a sex crime, you must take these charges very seriously. If the charges involve a child or minor, you face even more severe penalties. It is imperative that you speak with a West Jordan sex crime defense attorney to fully understand the charges you are facing, along with the potential penalties and consequences.
Why Choose a West Jordan Sex Crime Defense Attorney from Conyers & Nix?
Who you choose as your West Jordan sex crime defense attorney must be a serious consideration. A sex crime conviction can alter the rest of your life, so your choice of attorney matters. Attorneys Kate Conyers and Jesse Nix are better at defending you against your sex crime charges than many other attorneys because they have represented thousands of clients—especially clients charged with sex crimes.
As a result, Kate and Jesse have spent considerably more time in a courtroom than most attorneys, handled more cases, and spent more facetime with prosecutors and judges. These are the attorneys you want when facing serious sex crime charges. When you choose Conyers & Nix, you will be treated with respect and dignity as we provide zealous advocacy.
We will thoroughly examine every piece of evidence, every witness statement, and every action by police to meticulously prepare your case to achieve the best outcome possible. No matter how challenging your sex crime case is, we will always fight for your best interests.
West Jordan, Utah
As a suburb of Salt Lake City, West Jordan has a population of approximately 117,000. This makes it the third-largest city in the state. Named after the nearby Jordan River, West Jordan’s boundaries end in the eastern foothills of the Oquirrh Mountains. Today, West Jordan is one of the fastest-growing cities in Utah, making transportation a top concern. The Kennecott Copper Mine—now named the Bingham Canyon Mine—has been declared a National Historic Landmark since 1966. Lying within the city limits of West Jordan, Bingham Canyon Mine is the largest man-made excavation on earth.
While residents enjoy the many amenities found in West Jordan, sometimes a resident is charged with a sex crime. When this occurs, it can be extremely beneficial to speak to a highly knowledgeable West Jordan sex crime defense attorney from Conyers & Nix.
What Sex Crimes Do Conyers & Nix Handle?
At Conyers & Nix, we handle the following sex crimes:
- Sexual Battery—The charge of sexual battery involves touching someone’s private areas in a way that is unwanted and unwelcome. Sexual battery is a Class A misdemeanor.
- Rape—Rape is an extremely serious charge that occurs when one individual forces sexual intercourse on another without permission. Rape is a first-degree felony that can result in up to five years in prison.
- Sexual Abuse of a Minor—This charge involves a child under 14 years and an adult 18 years or older. Sexual Abuse of a Minor is charged as a second-degree felony which could result in up to fifteen years in prison.
- Sexual Conduct of a Minor can be a misdemeanor or felony, depending on the circumstances.
- Lewdness involves sexual acts in public and is generally a Class B misdemeanor unless a child is involved, then it becomes a Class A misdemeanor.
- Forcible Sexual Abuse—this crime occurs when the private areas of one person are touched by another with the intent to arouse or gratify sexual desires or cause bodily or emotional pain. Forcible sexual abuse is always a felony in the state of Utah.
- Revenge Porn involves the distribution of intimate photos of another individual online without consent and can be charged as a misdemeanor or felony, depending on the circumstances.
- Voyeurism involves invading another’s privacy to look at their body and is commonly known as “peeping.” Voyeurism is generally charged as a misdemeanor but can be charged as a felony if the person being watched or recorded is under the age of 14.
- Forcible Sodomy is a first-degree felony that can result in a prison sentence of five years to life.
What Does a West Jordan Sex Crime Defense Attorney Do?
Having an experienced West Jordan sex crime defense attorney from Conyers & Nix by your side can make all the difference if you’ve been accused of sex crimes. The stakes are too high to do anything other than retain the best attorney. Your attorney will understand the damage to your reputation when accused of a sex crime—even if you are found not guilty. You can discuss how to contain and manage the public fallout in the wake of a sex crime allegation with your attorney.
Minimizing the impact of sex crime accusations and convictions is another area where you could benefit from having an experienced sex crimes attorney advocating on your behalf. Perhaps most importantly, it is essential to have a highly skilled sex crime attorney to negotiate with the prosecutor to drop or reduce your charges.
How Can You Beat a Sex Crime Charge?
The best things you can do to beat a sex crime charge include the following:
- If you suspect you may be charged with a sex crime, contact an attorney immediately. The quicker your attorney is on your case, the better outcome.
- Hire an attorney with experience defending people facing similar charges.
- Do not discuss your charges—or potential charges—with anybody until you have spoken to an experienced attorney.
- Do not confront your accuser.
- Do not post anything on social media.
- Do not put anything in writing—no texting, no emailing, no chatting.
- If you are placed under arrest, DO NOT TALK to law enforcement until you have spoken to an attorney.
Your West Jordan sex crime defense attorney from Conyers & Nix will carefully evaluate all the evidence against you before determining the best defense.
How a West Jordan Sex Crime Defense Attorney from Conyers & Nix Can Help
Being charged with a sex crime is one of the most challenging things you will ever face—with some of the most life-altering consequences. At Conyers & Nix, we have highly experienced West Jordan sex crime defense attorneys. We are known for fighting for our clients and advocating for their rights. As a team, we have served thousands of clients and are fully prepared to represent and defend you against your sex crime charges. Contact Conyers & Nix today for the best representation.